The Boy Scouts of America ban against GLBT children is discriminatory and wrong.
As a Christian, for me this Boy Scout ban isn’t about the morality of the act of homosexuality, nor is it even about one’s sexual orientation, based upon what the bible tells us. Sin does not even enter into this matter. This ban is about judgment and condemnation; it does not show the love that Jesus Christ demonstrated to those whom many condemn. How have loving Christians been led so far astray from what the bible teaches?
Take such as, the story of the adulteress in the bible, or the prostitute, Mary Magdalene. Or how about Nicodemus, the tax collector? How were these imperfect, sinful people treated by Jesus Christ? Were they banned from His presence? Were they ordered to steer clear of Him?
No. They most definitely were not.
When they persisted in asking him questions, he straightened up and said, “The person who is sinless should be the first to throw a stone at her.” – John 8:7
Jesus welcomed these people into his inner circle with love, kindness, and gentleness. He didn’t even rebuke them in a negative way, but just stressed that they should go and sin no more. He addressed the adulteress directly when He alluded to her current “husband,” but didn’t linger upon or give a lengthy lecture, nor reject her because of her sin. He absolutely didn’t tell sinners that they couldn’t be a member of His group and would have to be banned until they stopped their sinning. No, Jesus didn’t tell sinners that He was going to exile them until they got their act together, so why are we doing so?
Christians could learn a lot from the example of Jesus Christ, in this regard.
Later Jesus was having dinner at Matthew’s house. Many tax collectors and sinners came to eat with Jesus and his disciples. – Matthew 9:10
- Would Jesus stone a homosexual? (http://www.christianpost.com/news/would-jesus-stone-a-homosexual-29686/)
- What did Jesus do? (http://whatjesusdiddo.blogspot.com/2011_05_01_archive.html)
- Boy Scouts considering dropping ban on openly gay children, volunteers – Dallas Morning News (dallasnews.com)
- Boy Scout leadership should allow gay membership: Guest opinion (oregonlive.com)
- Boy Scouts of America considering dropping its ban on gay members (foxnews.com)
- 10 Craziest Right-Wing Reactions to Boy Scouts Lifting Gay Ban (dailyqueernews.wordpress.com)
- 55% Say Scouts Should Drop Gay Ban (drudge.com)