Posted by: the warrioress | March 18, 2013

Christians and the Transgendered

Bill O'Reilly - Caricature

Bill O’Reilly Says Supporting Trans Students Is ‘Truly Madness’

I hear very little said from the Christian community of believers regarding “transexual” members of the lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender community. I’m not certain why there is so little said, but perhaps silence is golden in this regard. Judging the transgendered seems almost evil, in my personal opinion. Condemning and frowning down upon them is something Jesus Christ would not ever have engaged in.

What does God really feel about someone who is potentially born into the wrong body, based upon their God-given gender? Errors like this certainly don’t happen because God willed it, or do they? Is this error? Honestly, we simply do not know, do we?

Bill O’ Reilly seems to think it madness to allow a transgendered child to use the bathroom of the gender that he or she ID’s with. He complicates a relatively simple issue, making it awkward and ugly. There is little compassion within him expressed within the interview he gave regarding this topic.

If one is born a certain gender but somehow finds himself in the opposite body, how can such a person be held responsible for individual mental function that tells him internally that something is wrong, that there has been some kind of mistake? Why do we argue with this?

The transgender pride flag

The transgender pride flag (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

It seems very cruel to attempt to tell a person that we know better, when we absolutely do not. All we can do is share with this individual what the bible tells him. I don’t believe the bible addresses this condition, thus I believe this is the business of the transgendered individual and God Himself, not mine. And so I leave judgment in this matter in the hands of God, thankfully.

Thus, I will love my transgendered neighbor and have compassion within my heart for his plight. I will support his endeavors to accept himself and feel a part of. I trust that God will lead my heart in how he should be treated, and God has led my heart…. I am to love my transgendered neighbor as I love myself — with all of the considerations that this implies.

http://www.advocate.com/politics/transgender/2013/02/27/colorado-family-files-complaint-school-restricts-trans-six-year-olds

 

Advertisements

Responses

  1. How brave you are little sister, to deal with these controversial issues. When as Christians we should embrace all peoples. If as we claim that God created all and everyone. Than we ought to ask ourselves “Who do you think you are to judge what/who God has made?”
    Perhaps God is giving us a chance at Grace by placing different people in our path. And, just my opinion perhaps He is waiting for us to begin to understand how he can love us (the unlovable) but His creation as well.
    IF WE WOULD SEE OURSELVES AS GOD SEES US, IN ALL THE PERFECTIONS OF THE BELOVED IN WHOM WE HAVE BEEN ENGRACED SO FULLY AND IN WHOM WE ARE LOVED SO DEEPLY, WE WOULD BE REFLECTING MORE OF WHAT WE HAVE BEEN MADE TO BE IN CHRIST. GOD CONSIDERS US OF UNIQUE WORTH AND VALUE, SEES US “IN CHRIST”, “ACCEPTED IN

    THE ONE ALWAYS BE-LOVED”, WITH ALL THE ACCEPTABLENESS OF CHRIST HIMSELF, WITHOUT BLEMISH AND WITHOUT SPOT.

  2. Just thought I’d share: http://jspark3000.tumblr.com/post/37347715261/question-approaching-the-gender-diverse

  3. I think it’s difficult for anyone, especially Christians, to deal with these issues because, just from my personal standpoint, it’s really hard to wrap my head around them. Do I feel compassion for someone who is struggling with their gender identity? Absolutely. At the same time, I often wonder if the struggle always stems from a legitimate physical or chemical error, or if it sometimes comes from emotional trauma or mental/sexual confusion. If from the former, sure, make it right. If from the latter, then the person needs counseling and healing, not a sex change. The human brain doesn’t reach full maturity until age 26; childhood and adolescence is full of instances where people question who they are and experiment with different identities. As such, I question the wisdom of allowing a child or young teen to take hormones or undergo a surgical sex change. Sure, let them have gender-neutral facilities or seek peer support if that’s what they need. But I personally think irreversible medical procedures are best delayed until a person has an adult perspective of the world. It would be helpful if we had a better understanding of what causes a person to be transgender.

  4. Great post. According to the Bible, It’s contradictory to view God as the life creator, all knowing, optimal life planner (Isaiah 46:9, Jer 29:11) and to view him as making gender mistakes (Num 23:19). It’s also contradictory to view God as One who doesn’t care about the pain that we go through when we struggle with our identity, self-esteem and life purpose. There is also no such thing as a gender change. What science can offer is a lifetime of hormone altering drugs and plastic surgery to simulate another gender. There is no such thing as real gender change and for a man to carry a child and for a woman to fertilize an egg. I feel the church hasn’t developed presenting the gospel in a loving way, that God cares about the confusion and pain and that His healing is a real change once and for all. The ideal ministry for this is led by overcomers with compassion, long suffering, patience and gifts. They would develop an apologist strategy to discuss their approach and run the ministry with integrity, honesty, love and hope.You know i think I may blog on this. Personally I just know how effective it is when someone that overcame what you are going through speaks to you.

  5. Zanspence said:

    “Great post. According to the Bible, It’s contradictory to view God as the life creator, all knowing, optimal life planner (Isaiah 46:9, Jer 29:11) and to view him as making gender mistakes (Num 23:19). It’s also contradictory to view God as One who doesn’t care about the pain that we go through when we struggle with our identity, self-esteem and life purpose. There is also no such thing as a gender change. What science can offer is a lifetime of hormone altering drugs and plastic surgery to simulate another gender. There is no such thing as real gender change and for a man to carry a child and for a woman to fertilize an egg. I feel the church hasn’t developed presenting the gospel in a loving way, that God cares about the confusion and pain and that His healing is a real change once and for all. The ideal ministry for this is led by overcomers with compassion, long suffering, patience and gifts. They would develop an apologist strategy to discuss their approach and run the ministry with integrity, honesty, love and hope.You know i think I may blog on this. Personally I just know how effective it is when someone that overcame what you are going through speaks to you.”

    How wonderfully well said, Zanspence. I will stop by your blog and have a look because your perspective on this matter is appealing and loaded with compassion. I always appreciate Christ-like behavior and a loving nature when handling any controversial behavior instead of harsh judgment. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting here.

  6. April said:

    “I think it’s difficult for anyone, especially Christians, to deal with these issues because, just from my personal standpoint, it’s really hard to wrap my head around them. Do I feel compassion for someone who is struggling with their gender identity? Absolutely. At the same time, I often wonder if the struggle always stems from a legitimate physical or chemical error, or if it sometimes comes from emotional trauma or mental/sexual confusion. If from the former, sure, make it right. If from the latter, then the person needs counseling and healing, not a sex change. The human brain doesn’t reach full maturity until age 26; childhood and adolescence is full of instances where people question who they are and experiment with different identities. As such, I question the wisdom of allowing a child or young teen to take hormones or undergo a surgical sex change. Sure, let them have gender-neutral facilities or seek peer support if that’s what they need. But I personally think irreversible medical procedures are best delayed until a person has an adult perspective of the world. It would be helpful if we had a better understanding of what causes a person to be transgender.”

    I agree with you completely on what you’ve written here, April. Seems intelligent and compassion-filled to me. Thanks!

  7. Dr. Denis said:

    “How brave you are little sister, to deal with these controversial issues. When as Christians we should embrace all peoples. If as we claim that God created all and everyone. Than we ought to ask ourselves “Who do you think you are to judge what/who God has made?”
    Perhaps God is giving us a chance at Grace by placing different people in our path. And, just my opinion perhaps He is waiting for us to begin to understand how he can love us (the unlovable) but His creation as well.
    IF WE WOULD SEE OURSELVES AS GOD SEES US, IN ALL THE PERFECTIONS OF THE BELOVED IN WHOM WE HAVE BEEN ENGRACED SO FULLY AND IN WHOM WE ARE LOVED SO DEEPLY, WE WOULD BE REFLECTING MORE OF WHAT WE HAVE BEEN MADE TO BE IN CHRIST. GOD CONSIDERS US OF UNIQUE WORTH AND VALUE, SEES US “IN CHRIST”, “ACCEPTED IN

    THE ONE ALWAYS BE-LOVED”, WITH ALL THE ACCEPTABLENESS OF CHRIST HIMSELF, WITHOUT BLEMISH AND WITHOUT SPOT.”

    I agree with you, Dr. I think we’re to love these people as Jesus loves them. You’ve said this perfectly, Dr. Denis. I believe when we love like Christ loves, people cannot help but be drawn to Christ within us. Thanks so much, Dr. I appreciate you sharing here so much.

  8. Amen! Jesus can always be found in the mist of the least, lost and left-out! We are the outsiders 🙂 Christ’s peace my bold and beautiful sister!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: