It’s difficult to know what to write about the death of Trayvon Martin. Instead of casting stones and blame about, or poisoning my heart and the hearts of others with the burdens of what is wrong with our justice system, today I choose to try to remember Trayvon with hope and love. I will not think about the nations problems with prejudice, even in these days with all we’ve learned. Today I will remember and honor the memory of a young seventeen year old boy, who was taken from this world far too soon.
Today, I picture Trayvon resting in the arms of Jesus, where he is safe, beloved, treasured, and most of all not betrayed. A safer place for Trayvon will not be found, though the arms of his mother, father, and family members were probably pretty close. I’m asking the Lord to also hold Sybrina Fulton, Tray’s mom, and Tracy Martin, Tray’s Dad, and the rest of the Martin family and friends within God’s arms as well, close to His heart. May they rest in the presence of our Lord, knowing we grieve with them for Trayvon Martin, a life cut short before he had barely lived.
May we all learn what God wants us to learn about this sad, tragic, unthinkable blot upon our nation’s history. May we overcome as a people what brought us to the place where an innocent child is lost to us, through no fault of his own. May God bless and keep young Trayvon Martin and may we never forget why or how he lost his precious life.
Martin’s family members weren’t in the courtroom when the verdict was read, but reacted on Twitter Saturday night. Tracy Martin, Trayvon’s father, expressed his disappointment with the verdict, tweeting, ”Even though I am broken hearted my faith is unshattered I WILL ALWAYS LOVE MY BABY TRAY.” Trayvon’s mother, Sybrina Fulton, tweeted ”Lord during my darkest hour I lean on you. You are all that I have. At the end of the day, GOD is still in control. Thank you all for your prayers and support. I will love you forever Trayvon!!! In the name of Jesus!!!”
- Sybrina Fulton on Zimmerman Verdict: ‘My Darkest Hour’ (theroot.com)
- Trayvon Martin’s Father Tracy ‘Heartbroken’ Over Not Guilty Verdict (beautelicious.com)
- Tracy Martin, Sybrina Fulton Respond To Zimmerman ‘Not Guilty’ Verdict (indyhiphop.com)
- Trayvon’s dad: My heart is broken, my faith is not (cnn.com)
- Hoodies Up! Trayvon Martin Protests Continue Sunday (smd12364.newsvine.com)
- I Value the Life of Trayvon Benjamin Martin (ireport.cnn.com)
- The Trayvon Martin Case: What Would Jesus Say to Sanford, Florida, you, and me? (http://provocativechristian.wordpress.com)